On the next pages you will find a number of poems and writings
which were written for and about animals. In all you will see how deeply the
authors have felt at a loss, a find, a revelation - all about animals. I chose
this piece first not because it is the saddest or most profound. I chose it
first because, often I wonder, what if? What if we could all realize, truly
realize, the implications of having your entire fate determined by another,
your entire life in someones hands. There is no way to believe that this does
not effect animals.
This list was written as if a dog were just asking for his wishes, but perhaps
you can see, they are basic needs and should never be forgotten.
At this writing the author is unknown to me. Should anyone reading this be able
to produce proof of authorship I would be more than happy to give the author
The Ten Commandments
- My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be
painful for me. Remember that before you buy me.
- Give me time to understand what you want of me.
- Place your trust in me-it's crucial to my well-being.
- Don't be angry at me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment.
- You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I have only you.
- Talk to me sometimes. Even if I don't understand your words, I understand
your voice when it's speaking to me.
- Be aware that however you treat me I'll never forget it.
- Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily crush the
bones of your hand but that I choose not to bite you.
- Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself
if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food,
or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.
- Take care of me when I get old; you too will grow old. Go with me on difficult
journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch it," or, "Let it
happen in my absence." Everything is easier for me if you are there.
Remember.....I love you!